Under general supervision, the Clinic Medical Assistant assists in the
delivery of patient care. The Medical Assistant performs both clinical
and clerical duties. The Clinic Medical Assistant works collaboratively
with the healthcare team to meet the physical, psychosocial and educational
needs of the patient and family.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and
testing of patients.
- Records patients’ weight, blood pressure, pulse, height and other
- Authorizes drug refills as directed by physicians or standing orders.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments under direct supervision
of a licensed practitioner.
- Oversees appointment booking and insures preference is given to patients
in emergent situations.
- Arranges for patient testing and admissions.
- Maintains exam rooms for necessary supplies and materials. Insures cleanliness.
Prepares lists of medical supplies needed.
- Cleans surgical supplies in preparation for proper sterilization at Livingston
Memorial Hospital Central Sterile per written policy.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts and other pertinent information.
- Responds to and refers incoming telephone calls appropriately.
- Assists providers and nursing staff with clerical needs.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement.
- Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Responsible for attending at least 80% of nursing staff meetings.
- Annual completion of all required educational competencies.
- Attending all mandatory in-service classes.
OTHER FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vision and values of Livingston Healthcare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect.
- Interacting with customers (patients, co-workers and visitors) in a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or request.
- Attentive to each customer concern.
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization.
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which
may be inherent in the position.