The Patient Attendant/Sitter provides a safe environment for the patient
under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) on duty. A Patient Attendant/Sitter
supports the patient care team as well as attending to certain, specific
needs of the patient. The Patient Attendant/Sitter provides direct observation
of assigned patients to ensure safety and prevention of injury. The Patient
Sitter will summon the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance
or other nursing intervention outside of the job description. The Patient
Attendant/Sitter receives reports from existing RNs about any patient
specific behaviors to observe. The Patient Attendant/Sitter will maintain
a commitment to the philosophy, mission and values of Livingston HealthCare.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives existing RN report.
2. Receives report from existing RN including any patient specific behaviors
3. Provides direct observation of patients.
4. Courteously greets patients, identifies self, and explains purpose,
maintains visual contact with the patient at all times.
5. Provides support to the patient care team (CNAs, RNs, etc.).
6. Ensures patient’s safety.
7. Observes and reports to the RN concerns or changes in patient behavior.
8. Promptly calls for assistance as needed.
9. Provides care within job duties and responsibilities.
10. Contacts RN or CNA for all bathroom needs (assisting to bathroom, bedpan, urinal).
11. Contacts RN or CNA for all ambulation needs (walking in the hallways,
transferring from bed to chair).
12. Does not leave patient unless relieved by another staff member.
13. Notifies RN if tubes, IV, catheter, etc. become disconnected.
14. Reports equipment alarms in the patient room to the CNA or RN.
15. Assists coordination of tests and procedures.
16. The Patient Attendant/Sitter moves with the patient throughout their
17. Accompanies the patient to other areas of the Hospital for diagnostic
tests or upon transfer to other units.
18. Transports patient belongings as required with the patient.
19. Keeps patient room neat and orderly.
20. Maintains a safe, orderly and well equipped environment.
21. Helps implement safety procedures.
22. The Patient Attendant/Sitter helps make the patient’s environment safe.
23. Evaluates patient’s environment for possible hazards and removes
24. Promotes infection prevention. Washes hands before and after patient
contact. Follows isolation procedures according to the Infection Control Policy.
25. Competently utilizes technology by demonstrating understanding of the
use of unit technology i.e. call systems, bed controls and TV controls etc.
26. Performs other duties as assigned.
OTHER FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vision and values of Livingston HealthCare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect
- Interacting with customers (Patients, co-workers and visitors) in a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or requests.
- Attentive to each customer concern.
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which
may be inherent in the position.
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. BLS Certification from American Heart Association.
3. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
4. Able to fulfill the physical demand requirements of the job as stated.
5. Successful completion of Hospital Patient Attendant/Sitter training
course as part of orientation and must be completed prior to performing
the actual Patient Attendant/Sitter role.
6. Aggressive Patient, Confused Patient, Demented Patient, General Safety
Rules, Seizure Precautions, Suicide Precautions, Fall Precautions, Restraint.
7. Capable of observing patient and remaining alert at all times while on duty.
8. Ability to communicate with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient
behavioral changes by reporting and summoning assistance.
9. Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors,
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Previous experience with Patient in a Hospital setting.