The oncology Registered Nurse partners with patient, families, interdisciplinary
team, and community resources to provide optimal care for their patients.
Focuses on physician, mental, and emotional status, as well as family
support and involvement. In collaboration with patients, families, physicians
and the interdisciplinary team works to formulate a goal directed plan
of care and establish treatment priorities based upon patient needs and
The oncology Nurse Expedites access to services and resources to improve
continuity and coordination of care throughout the cancer continuum. Advocates
for patient and family by mobilizing appropriate resources tailored to
the individual patients care in a timely fashion. Identifying gaps in
service and addressing them. Assists in translating complex medical terminology
to the patient and family and answers questions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct professional nursing care for specified patients including
appropriate triage, supportive care, and administration of chemotherapy,
blood products, as well as other medications for acute and chronic illnesses.
- Ensures patient safety using wide knowledge base of complex treatment regimens
- Monitors, evaluates and records the treatment plan results.
- Assist patients in managing side effects and symptoms of cancer and other
- Recognizes and can appropriately respond to urgent and emergent treatment
related infusion medication reactions.
- Assists physicians with special testing and procedures such as bone marrow
biopsy, paracentesis, etc.
- Educate and assist patients and their families to understand the disease,
the treatment plan, and possible side effects.
- Link patients and their families to available health care services and
communicate with doctors and other members of the staff on behalf of the patients.
- Participates in telephone calls from patients. Assesses the patient and
situation for urgency, answers questions and appropriately advises the
patient when to seek medical care.
- Acts as a resource to other nurses within the organization regarding central
line issues and/or continuity of care for patients on chemo precautions.
- Possess extensive knowledge of central lines, including but not limited
to proper line management, maintenance, infection prevention, and troubleshooting
multiple types of central access devices.
- Coordination of Oncology provider outreach clinics.
- Maintains working Infusion schedule book in Cerner systems.
- May be called to facilitate Telemed Oncology Appointments.
OTHER FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vision and values of Livingston HealthCare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect
- Interacting with customers (Patients, co-workers and visitors) in a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or requests.
- Attentive to each customer concern.
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which
may be inherent in the position.