The Manager of ED Services provides 24 hour managerial and clinical support
to patients and staff. The manager demonstrates clinical expertise and
oversees the leadership of clinical, financial and personnel management
of the assigned areas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Is responsible for departmental coverage 24/7. Commits to the hours needed
to achieve outcomes and develops others to assure round the clock leadership.
Flexing hours worked as staff to meet departmental needs will satisfy
the required full-time hours.
- Responsible to act as the clinical expert and be a resource for staff around
the clock, functioning alongside staff as needed.
- Responsible to respond immediately to department / facility emergencies
unless coverage has been previously arranged.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support
of LHC’s commitment to the Standards of Excellence in all areas
of personal and professional activity.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and advances in nursing practice,
assuring patients are receiving current standards of care.
- Responsible to ensure adherence to all state and federal regulations.
- Works closely with risk management to identify and mitigate areas of risk;
evaluating, initiating and documenting change in processes as needed.
- Hardwires patient rounding by teaching and incorporating Studer principles
to ensure consistent contact with patients and ensuring that the needs
of patients are met.
- Provides service recovery as needed, promptly responding to patient concerns
with compassion, kindness, empathy and patience.
- Hardwires staff rounding to develop appropriate manager / staff relationships.
- Ensures ongoing communication with staff utilizing various means appropriate
to department needs.
- Identifies, develops, and implements Quality Improvement projects within
department and across departmental lines.
- Provides support for nursing departments in the absence of other nursing managers.
- Facilitates regularly scheduled staff meetings, seeking input for operational
- Actively collaborates with medical director / departmental committee(s)
in planning, implementation and evaluation of common goals and objectives
between nursing and ancillary departments, physicians and nursing staff.
- Administers the Service Line Committee structure.
- Serves as the value / product analyst for clinical department.
- Establishes standards for clinical and fiscal evaluation of supplies and
capital purchases for departments.
- Coordinates with other departments to standardize practices, processes
- Mentors and coach staff and leaders throughout the organization.
- Serves on committees, engages in leadership evaluation and participates
in leadership interviews.
- Identifies opportunities for service line growth, leads initiatives to
- Serves as leadership buddy.
- Assists in the development of the operational and capital budget. Proactively
provides daily operational resource management including staff, supplies,
and equipment and ensures optimal productivity for the department.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret financial data as a means to determine
- Responsible for approving biweekly payroll, identifies trends in utilization
and takes corrective measures as needed.
- Responsible for selection, orientation, on-boarding and retention of staff.
Demonstrates leadership through coaching, performance evaluations, corrective
actions and development of opportunities to create a culture of learning
utilizing a “Just Culture” philosophy.
- Develops schedule based on departmental needs taking into account the level
of staff expertise and patient complexity.
- Establishes and maintains departmental policies and guidelines to ensure
adherence to professional and legal standards as well as evidence based practice.
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of the clinical
practice for departmental services, analyzing appropriate internal and
external data and information to identify opportunities in collaboration
with stakeholders for improving services and patient outcomes.
- Develops education programs in conjunction with Staff Development Coordinator
to assist the staff in the progression from novice to expert.
- Compiles data for submission for quality initiatives as required by CMS,
MDPPHS and other governing bodies. Seeks out opportunities for process
improvement based on current patient satisfaction scores to ensure quality outcomes.
- Utilizes patient satisfaction scores to identify successes and opportunities
for performance improvement while consistently providing feedback and
education to staff.
- Performs other duties as necessary to meet LHC’s mission, “Serving
through quality healthcare”.
UNIT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (ED):
- Oversight of Trauma Program.
- Maintains standards for Level 4 Trauma Designation.
- Ensures unit specific training / competency.
- Directly collaborates with Emergency Preparedness Coordinator to ensure
- Maintain certifications in BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC, ENPCs.
- Is a positive role model, exemplifying LHC’s Standards of Excellence
- Able to work collaboratively with other departmental managers to ensure
the best outcomes for patients.
- Attends manager staff meetings, unless excused.
- Attends all mandatory in-service classes.
- Completes all required annual educational competencies.
OTHER FUNTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vison and values of Livingston HealthCare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect.
- Interactive with customers (patient. Co-workers and visitors) on a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or request.
- Attentive to each customer concern,
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethics of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization.
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal of functions of the job as identified and shall
not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements
which may be inherent in the position.