The Medical Laboratory Assistant will, under general supervision, coordinate
and perform tasks and activities in several areas of the clinical laboratory.
Depending on the area of responsibility within the scope of the job as
outlined, the laboratory assistant will monitor the status of the workflow
of the tasks involved and shall prioritize task and coordinate performance
of tasks with other phlebotomists. In addition to routine phlebotomy duties,
the Laboratory Assistant shall be responsible for tasks that will include
clerical, specimen collection, specimen processing, support for clinical
testing, waived and point of care testing, and laboratory operations duties
in support of clinical laboratory staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtains blood samples by appropriate techniques
- Collects samples for Urine Drug testing. Complies with Department of Transportation
- Performs Breath Alcohol Testing
- Collects Throat and Nasopharyngeal samples
- Instructs patients in proper collection of urine samples
- Labels samples accurately and completely
- Processes, centrifuges, aliquots, and accessions samples according to established
policies and procedures.
- Assists in training of new Phlebotomists
- Initiates processing and handling of all patient specimens as they are
received in the laboratory
- Maintains all aspects of processing and handling of all specimens referred
out and ensures accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness
- Researches specimen requirements for reference labs and arranges for critical
specimen handling and complex transportation arrangements as needed.
- Processes paperwork for routing samples to appropriate reference laboratory.
- Scans reference laboratory reports as needed
- Data Entry - Enters orders into electronic medical record system from written
provider orders / requisitions or direct access (health fair) requisitions
- Executes Advanced Beneficiary Notices as needed
- Reviews and ensures written laboratory orders are complete according to
established guidelines, obtains missing information and clarifies orders as needed
- Ensures laboratory orders are collected in order of priority and specimens
are routed to the correct clinical area and stat or timed priorities are
communicated to technical staff.
- Audits orders for accuracy and completeness
- Faxes and mails lab reports as needed
- Distributes and reports reportable disease cases to appropriate entity as needed
- Answers the phone and transfers calls to appropriate department or area
- Responds to questions from patients, physicians and other reference labs
and provides routine information, collection and testing procedures, specimen
processing, turn around times, result reporting and reference lab availability.
Also responds to non-routine questions regarding what steps need to be
taken to rectify a situation when sample/specimen integrity has been compromised
- Maintains inventory management to include supply / equipment inventory ordering
- Unpacks and stores supplies
- Maintains that all phlebotomy supplies are adequately stocked by the phlebotomy
staff and that all patient phlebotomy areas are in proper condition regarding
equipment and cleanliness
- Follows all Chemical hygiene and / or lab safety procedures
- Performs CLIA waived testing according to established policies and procedures
- Reports critical or sensitive results in a timely manner in accordance
with standard policy
Under the supervision and direction of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist/Clinical
Laboratory Technician performs test processing in certain areas of the
clinical lab which may or may not include the following;
Loading specimens on an automated hematology analyzer with results reviewed
and verified by a Clinical Laboratory Scientist/Technician
Wright stain preparation
Entering and loading specimens into an automated chemistry analyzer for
processing with results to be reviewed by CLS/CLT
Reagent preparation, loading
Routine culture set-up, MIC set up and load into Autoscan
Loading blood cultures in BacTalert and process positive blood cultures
for review by CLS/CLT
Gram stain preparation
Quality Control performance with evaluation/troubleshooting with CLS/CLT oversight
Bone Marrow processing and slide preparation
Fine Needle Aspirates, processing and slide preparation
30. Assists physicians, including collecting and transporting specimens,
preparation of bone marrow specimens and/or fine needle biopsies, preparing
slides, maintaining integrity of specimens and disposal of specimens according
31. Understands phlebotomists role and is able to provide guidance
32. Assists other laboratory personnel as workload permits
33. Organizes workload for effective utilization of time
34. Inspires confidence from patients, visitors by performing and communicating
in a professional
35. Continuously works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working
relationship with all
- Attends 80% of laboratory staff meetings
- Annual completion of all required educational competencies
- Attending all mandatory in-service classes
- Maintains current BLS certification
- Other duties, as assigned
OTHER FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vision and values of Livingston HealthCare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect
- Interacting with customers (Patients, co-workers and visitors) in a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or requests.
- Attentive to each customer concern.
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which
may be inherent in the position.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Phlebotomy certification
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a phlebotomist
- Medical Laboratory Assistant certification eligible
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Detail oriented
- Positive attitude and flexibility during routine work day
- Flexibility in scheduling. Must be willing to work a variety of shifts
and weekend rotations.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Well-groomed, tactful, patient, pleasant and customer focused
- Basic computer skills
Physical Demands: Medium
Lift: 50 lbs from floor to waist height using proper body mechanics
Lift: 25 lbs from waist height to shoulder height using proper body mechanics
Carry: 50 lbs 40 feet
Push: 50 lbs of force 35 feet
Pull: 50 lbs of force 35 feet.
Machinery and Equipment Operation and control of laboratory analyzers and equipment, continuous
exposure to specimens and materials considered to be infectious and/or
biohazardous. Continuous exposure to moderate noise levels.