The ICU Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for professional nursing care
of patients in the assigned area/department, including identification
of patient needs and implementation of nursing interventions utilizing
the nursing process. Responsibilities also include delegation of duties
to and supervision of both licensed and non-licensed personnel. Works
collaboratively with ancillary nursing staff and other personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses patient’s condition and nursing needs.
- Identifies goals through the care planning process.
- Identifies appropriate nursing actions to meet care-planning goals with
regards to patient’s holistic needs.
- Exhibits age appropriate competencies: newborn, child, adolescent, adult
- Answers call lights promptly.
- Upon completion of all nursing interventions, documents accurately and
thoroughly in the appropriate area of the patient record in accordance
to organization policy.
- Reports changes in patient condition or pertinent observations to the appropriate
physician and/or other member of the healthcare team.
- Actively participates in patient/family education and the discharge planning process.
- Assists physicians with special tests and procedures, including the insertion
of invasive lines.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel.
- Assists with and/or initiates emergency measures appropriately.
- Participates in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement.
- Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Responsible for being able to interpret cardiac rhythms.
- Responsible for providing care for patients on mechanical ventilation.
- Maintains current BLS, ACLS, PALS certification.
- Completes all annual required educational competencies.
- Attends all mandatory in-service trainings.
- Ability to initiate and titrate IV medications.
- May be required to float to other areas of the hospital.
OTHER FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Supports and models individual behavior consistent with the Standards of
Excellence and the mission, vision and values of Livingston Healthcare.
Demonstrates commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective working relationships and treating others with respect.
- Interacting with customers (patients, co-workers and visitors) in a warm
and friendly way.
- Taking immediate action to meet customers’ needs or request.
- Attentive to each customer concern.
- Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open and effective communication
and teamwork throughout the organization.
- Adheres to Livingston HealthCare’s Code of Conduct and Livingston
HealthCare and departmental compliance policies.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements which
may be inherent in the position.