The Patient Attendant/Sitter provides a safe environment for the patient
under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN) on duty. A Patient
Attendant/Sitter supports the patient care team as well as attending to
certain, specific needs of the patient. The Patient Attendant/Sitter provides
direct observation of assigned patients to ensure safety and prevention
of injury. The Patient Sitter will summon the nursing staff if the patient
requires assistance or other nursing intervention outside of the job description.
The Patient Attendant/Sitter receives reports from existing RNs about
any patient specific behaviors to observe. The Patient Attendant/Sitter
will maintain a commitment of the philosophy, mission and values of Livingston
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Receives existing RN report.
- Receives report from existing RN including any patient specific behaviors
- Provides direct observation of patients.
- Courteously greets patients, identifies self, and explains purpose, maintains
visual contact with the patient at all times.
- Provides support to the patient care team (CNAs, RNs, etc.).
- Ensures patient’s safety.
- Observes and reports to the RN concerns or changes in patient behavior.
- Promptly calls for assistance as needed.
- Provides care within job duties and responsibilities.
- Contacts RN or CNA for all bathroom needs (assisting to bathroom, bedpan, urinal).
- Contacts RN or CNA for all ambulation needs (walking in the hallways, transferring
from bed to chair).
- Does not leave patient unless relieved by another staff member.
- Notifies RN if tubes, IV, catheter, etc. become disconnected.
- Reports equipment alarms in the patient room to the CNA or RN.
- Assists coordination of tests and procedures.
- The Patient Attendant/Sitter moves with the patient throughout their hospital stay.
- Accompanies the patient to other areas of the Hospital for diagnostic tests
or upon transfer to other units.
- Transports patient belongings as required with the patient.
- Keeps patient room neat and orderly.
- Maintains a safe, orderly and well equipped environment.
- Helps implement safety procedures.
- The Patient Attendant/Sitter helps make the patient’s environment safe.
- Evaluates patient’s environment for possible hazards and removes
- Promotes infection prevention. Washes hands before and after patient contact.
Follows isolation procedures according to the Infection Control Policy.
- Competently utilizes technology by demonstrating understanding of the use
of unit technology i.e. call systems, bed controls and TV controls etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.