The Registered Nurse is responsible for professional nursing care of patients
in the assigned area/department, including identification of patient needs
and implementation of nursing interventions utilizing the nursing process.
Responsibilities also include delegation of duties to and supervision
of both licensed and non-licensed personnel. Works collaboratively with
ancillary nursing staff and other personnel.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Maintains the standards for nursing care and performs nursing skills in
compliance with the regulations set forth in the Montana State Board of
Nursing nurse practice act.
- Assesses patient’s condition and nursing needs.
- Identifies goals through the care planning process.
- Identifies appropriate nursing actions to meet care-planning goals with
regards to patient’s holistic needs.
- Exhibits age appropriate competencies: newborn, child, adolescent, adult
- Answers call lights promptly.
- Upon completion of all nursing interventions, documents accurately and
thoroughly in the appropriate area of the patient record in accordance
to organization policy.
- Reports changes in patient condition or pertinent observations to the appropriate
physician and/or other member of the healthcare team.
- Administers medications to and performs treatments on assigned patients.
- Actively participates in patient/family education and the discharge planning process.
- Assists physicians with special tests and procedures such as thoracentesis,
lumbar tap, etc.
- Participates in economical utilization of supplies and ensures that equipment
is maintained in a clean and safe manner.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel.
- Demonstrates ability to function in a Charge Nurse role when assigned,
including providing leadership and support to staff, serving as a resource,
assessing resource needs, providing feedback to manager as needed and
collaborating with others to address service area and health system needs.
- Assist with and/or initiates emergency measures appropriately.
- Participates in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement.
- Assist with proper room assignment of patient’s being admitted or
transferred to the area assigned.
- Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Attends at 75% of unit staff meetings.
- Attends all mandatory in-service classes.
- Completes all annual required educational competencies.
- Maintains current CPR, ACLS and TNCC certification.