Provides direct and indirect services to the surgical patient under the
supervision of the surgeon and circulating nurse. Delivers quality care
while performing tasks as necessary for the efficient and effective functioning
of the operating room.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Acts as scrub assistant to the surgeon, anticipating his/her needs, and
implementing the principles and skills of surgical asepsis in performing
- Promotes the economic and efficient operation of the Operating Room schedule
by preparing the room for the intended procedure, selecting equipment
and supplies and maintaining the cleanliness of the room in preparation
for the next procedure.
- Assumes call status on periodic basis as determined by department need.
- Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement.
- Ensures individual skills are current.
- Maintains current knowledge of procedures, techniques, instruments and
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Participates in Quality Assurance programs.
- Assists in other nursing areas of the hospital depending on department need.
- May perform functions as a circulating assistant under the direct supervision
of a Registered Nurse.
- Assists in the care, preparation, and maintenance of sterile and non-sterile
surgical instruments, equipment and supplies.
- Cross train to central sterile processing.
- Assists in duties of the department.